Part of the service I offer to clients involves an analysis of their eating habits and one of the biggest concerns I have is when people miss breakfast. Put simply going from your evening meal to lunchtime is too long without food and your body will go into starvation mode meaning your metabolism slows right down making it more likely to store fat.
Other reasons not to skip breakfast include:
· Missing breakfast will lead to low blood sugar levels causing headaches, shakiness, weakness and lack of concentration.
· Breakfast is an ideal opportunity to get nutrients into your diet.
· Missing breakfast means you would feel very hungry around mid or late-morning. You could probably crave for a sugary snack, such as a biscuit, which is high in fat and has less nutrients.
A healthy breakfast should provide some protein, a reasonable amount of complex carbohydrate, a little fat and a variety of vitamins and minerals. Good breakfast choices include:
· 40g Porridge and blueberries
· 2 Weetabix with skimmed milk and fruit
· 2 slices of wholegrain toast with 200g tinned tomatoes
· Bowl of fresh fruit, handful of unsalted nuts and 100g low fat yogurt
· 3tbsp of oats (soaked in apple juice over night) mix with 3tbsp of bran flakes/ and blueberries
· Homemade muesli: 2 tbsp bran flakes, 1 tbsp oats, 3 dried apricots, 1tbsp raisins, 1tbsp sunflower seeds with milk or 2tbsp low fat yogurt
· 2 slices of toasted wholegrain bread with 1tsp peanut butter (opt for Whole Foods – no added sugar). Plus medium apple, 200ml unsweetened orange juice.
· Porridge oats, cooked, swirl of runny honey and 1tsp toasted hazelnuts.
· Breakfast bruschetta - brush a slice of granary bread with olive oil and top with a sliced tomato, slice of low-fat bacon/turkey rasher. Drizzle with 1tsp more olive oil and grill. Top bruschetta with a poached egg. (limit to once per week)
· 1 poached or dry-fried egg served with 1 grilled low-fat beef/pork sausage (max. 5% fat) or 1 Quorn sausage, 3 grilled tomatoes (limit to once per week)
· 1 medium boiled egg with two toast
· 2 scrambled eggs with 1 toast and tomatoes
· Homemade smoothie: handful of strawberries, ½ banana, 1tbsp natural yogurt, handful of blueberries, handful of almonds, 1tsp honey